Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Post #7a: Independence Day, Part I



Great Moments in Independence and
the Food that Goes Along

Part I

A note for this post.  There will be no mention of the tween.  This goes out to all those who have sought and found independence.  His independence will come soon enough . . .

December 16 1773 - The Boston Tea Party
Colonists objected to the Tea Act for a variety of reasons, especially because they believed that it violated their right to be taxed only by their own elected representatives. The protest movement that culminated with the Boston Tea Party was not a dispute about high taxes. The price of legally imported tea was actually reduced by the Tea Act of 1773. Protesters were instead concerned with a variety of other issues. The familiar "no taxation without representation" argument, along with the question of the extent of Parliament's authority in the colonies, remained prominent.

While the colonists protested no taxation without representation.  It was the collective wisdom of striking an independent course, of seeking emancipation from oppression, that set the stage for becoming free.  In honor of the upcoming independence day and the independent spirit emerging in my home, I want to share some recipes in that theme.

An independent spirit I know treated me to a wonderful tea-smoked chicken dish.  This dish wooed me into a lovely relationship with layers of complexity and depth (both the chicken and the person).  I have never forgot the dish, nor the feelings behind it when he made it for me.  I enjoyed being in his small cottage kitchen that was packed with his worldly provisions and the sounds of radical radio coming out from an ancient boom box.   He was born an independent spirit and he never gave it up.  He experienced historical moments and he shared his intellect and religion with me.  He would not be fooled with and refused to share the recipe when asked.  I honor the independent spirit and the Boston tea party with this similar recipe.  There is nothing like a man who can woo a woman with a signature meal.





No comments:

Post a Comment